Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oldwyoming.-When Debord met Salinger[...] EP (2011)

Last November, I drove from Chicago to Portland, via Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho. It was fucking terrifying. Proud Chicago native and city boy that I am, I had no clue how vast Amurikuh is. Wyoming by itself is so fucking big and empty that I developed a weird sense of reverse claustrophobia after the first day. The middle of the USA was not meant for human habitation, and Wyoming frowns on intruders.

It makes sense this project features that state prominently. It's perfect music for a long road trip: the kind where you're driving for so long, you don't notice how much the landscape's changed 'til you get out to take a piss. The three soundscapes drift in and out of focus, sort of like Eno's ambient work, but this is as American as illiteracy: I can only see this kind of drone coming from the desolation and isolation of the U.S. heartland.

..I do get bored. Contact oldwyoming via Last.Fm for more info. He takes some good pictures, peeps his tumblr page, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment